Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Disappear Button a.k.a. Where's Todd?


Hello all! This is Todd Darby your resident Boys Camp Director. As many of you know, I have worn many hats and gone by many titles at CBS. Some of you know me as your coach, others as your counselor, some as your sponsor, others as your compound head (gramps, pops, pee-paw, etc), and still others as a friend/older brother. Well during the off-season things change up for me quite a bit. I trade in being able to see your smiling faces for the screen of a mac-book and I trade the beautiful sights and smells of the outdoors for a desk and scented candles.

Well there are times where I get restless sitting in this chair from IKEA and I long to get a little taste of being out and seeing camp. I see it as a necessary part of my job (maintaining my sanity) but Jenn Jones, who used to work for us, calls it my disappear button. She spent many hours trying to figure out where I would be from time to time. Well I will share with you some of my reasons for needing to hit the disappear button and some of my "secret areas".

My first reason for needing to "disappear" is that I cannot stand being in the office for hours on end. For you campers and counselors I'm sure you can sympathize with me. Those long hours of sitting in the classroom, library or study hall can start to get to you. Well the same is true for me.

The second reason is that it allows me to remember all of the great times we all have when camp is in full swing. I sometimes head down to the Amphitheater and remember great BASEline skits. I head down to Balcones Beach and imagine sitting with some of you guys sipping on Breezes and eating sno-cones. I even head down to a certain secret hide out where from time to time you can hear the resounding noise of buffalos. My back yard is one of the most beautiful places around. I mean take today. It is a beautiful March day, the sky is blue and the temperature is warm. How could I not go outside and enjoy this?

One of the last reasons that I push my "disappear button" is that it gives me time to think of great things I would like to see happen this summer. When I walk around camp I get to see God's wonderful creation and it just allows my mind to focus better. I've thought of several great things that I believe would add to the great things that camp already does. So maybe sometime down the line I'll blog about some of these ideas if they come about.

Well I hope you enjoyed this insight into some of my off-season "adventures". Until we have the opportunity to do it for real keep imagining all of the phun we will have this summer.

See you guys later....It is time to "disappear"

Todd "Toddles, T Darb, Triple D, T-Dub" Darby

No comments:

Post a Comment